Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Second Prayer

"As [Jesus] was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance and called out in a loud voice, 'Jesus, Master, have pity on us!' When he saw them, he said, 'Go, show yourselves to the priests.' And as they went, they were cleansed. One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. He threw himself at Jesus feet and thanked him - and he was a Samaritan." (Luke 17:12-16)

This morning I'm going to share a few thoughts from the wonderful chapel service I got to attend earlier today. The Bible passage that was read contained the verses above, and the pastor shared some thoughts on the Thanksgiving holiday and the prayer that often goes along with it. We often find ourselves more than able to cry to God for help. Just last night I found myself pleading for answers and aid. In the midst of despair, when there's nowhere else to turn, it just seems more natural to turn towards God. However, it's a bit harder to remember the "second prayer". It doesn't feel as natural to stop in the middle of a happy moment and think about how God is answering a past cry for help. Often (at least in my case) we would rather just forget that we even had to cry for help and concentrate on "living in the moment". It's very good sometimes to stop and think about your blessings, reflecting on hardship and giving thanks for deliverance. I'd like to take this free moment to do that. Here's what I'm especially thankful for right now:

Sunshine. This simple blessing has lifted my spirits immensely today.

Health for me and my family in light of my accident and some of the misfortunes we've had in past holidays. 

A new car that was provided after my old one was totaled.

Friends that have made this school year so enjoyable.

Concordia. The professors are so wonderfully kind, caring, and intelligent. The chapel services have comforted me on countless occasions. The Christian environment helps me feel like I belong. 

A boyfriend who is loving and patient through our struggles. 

Phone and my internet. Even though they don't always work perfectly, they keep me in contact with the people I love.

There are tons of other things I could give thanks for, but I'll keep the list short (partly because I need to go pack, because I get to go home today). Sometimes it feels cheesy or strange to sit and give thanks for blessings, but it's such a wonderful exercise to drive off despair. I pray that your Thanksgiving is filled with obvious blessings, and that you remember to give thanks every day. 










 

No comments:

Post a Comment