Thursday, January 12, 2012

Be Free!

There are two common viewpoints that I've encountered in my life. I never really gave much thought to either. And I certainly never realized the connection until this morning. It was a beautiful Spirit-filled moment.
First, there's the view I've gotten from society about rules. How often do we appreciate rules? If I'm being honest with myself, I'd have to say not very often. Generally the viewpoint is that rules are hindrances. They make life less fun and too complicated.
Second, there's the view I've heard from church about sin. Often we hear in church that sin puts us in bondage. It makes sense that those things which go against God's plan would cause chaos and hurt in our lives.
So how are these two viewpoints connected? As usual, the viewpoint of the church (or more accurately, the Bible) is healthier than that of the world. As I've grown older and developed a broader mind, I've been able to see the usefulness in laws and rules. They keep us safe and protect our rights. The same goes with God's law. His law, when kept perfectly, is the perfect rulebook for a happy life.
A friend of mine gave me a devotional book for Christmas called Breaking Free Day by Day. As I've read through each day and gone about my daily life, it's really hit me how bound we are by sin. Particularly those "harmless" sins of the mind such as despair, hatred, pride, and jealousy. Why do we hang on to them? Why do we allow ourselves to be chained up daily by thoughts and attitudes that hinder our ability to love? The answer is simple: We are sinful beings. It's our human nature to cling to the sins that seem so natural to us. I will admit that sometimes it feels good to be angry or arrogant. But the momentary rush that comes from allowing those feelings to have control cannot even compare to the lasting relief of letting them go. 
As I said, sin comes naturally to us. We're born with it. So it's hard to let go. That's why we have to rely on Christ Jesus, giving our sins to him. He's the only one who can take them and truly make them disappear. He even says it himself! "Jesus replied, 'I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.'" (John 8:34-36)
It's a daily process, but it's so worth it. Confession is difficult, but there is peace to be found in the forgiveness of God and any others affected by our sin. Although the law may seem a burden, it's actually the best way to avoid the burden of sin. God gives us rules so that we can live peacefully with each other and enjoy his blessings. 


"I have chosen the way of truth;
I have set my heart on your laws.
I hold fast to your statutes, O Lord;
do not let me be put to shame.
I run in the path of your commands,
for you have set my heart free."
Psalm 119:30-32


Let go of your sins, live by the law, and be free!





No comments:

Post a Comment