Sunday, January 29, 2012

Raindrops

Some people are afraid of storms. I can't say I'm one of those people. When it's raining hard and there's thunder and lightning you're actually likely to find me under the roof of my back porch, watching and breathing in the storm. I do understand why storms are scary though. They're so powerful, and so unpredictable. They can cause so much damage.
We have storms in our lives sometimes. Days, weeks, and months when it seems like things are out of control and there's so much damage occurring. Those are the storms that I am afraid of. 
We often talk about bad things - fights, injuries, crises - as the raindrops of life. They all fall down at once and make us feel cold and miserable. It's hard to find shelter. But if we look beyond our present misery, those raindrops might be doing some good. The rain that falls from the sky, though sometimes inconvenient, is essential to our earth. Maybe those hard times in life are also essential. They teach us so many things. They teach us to look for the good in life and be thankful in all circumstances. They teach us to be content. They teach us patience. Psalm 40:1-3 says:
"I waited patiently for the Lord;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.
He put a new song in my mouth,
a hymn of praise to out God.
Many will see and fear
and put their trust in the Lord."

It's always interesting after (or during) a long ordeal to look back and consider how God is using the rain to bring forth new growth in your life. He is a master of using everything in our lives for our good. What is an unexpected way in which God has blessed you lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment