Friday, July 24, 2015

30 Days of Bite-Sized Faith: One

Prologue: 
It's easy for me to stray, because it's not an easy life sometimes. School, work, relationships, health... You name it, I've struggled with it. And you probably have too. When things stop being easy, I start to despair. More times than I'd like to admit I've glared at heaven and asked why I can't just have what I want. I've certainly been angry more times than I've been thankful. 
This last year has been a time in the spiritual wilderness, and I'd like to turn that around. That's where this challenge comes in. If you've been on Facebook for a while, you've probably seen someone do a "30 Day Challenge" of photos or songs or whatever. The premise is simple. Post one thing every day for thirty days (usually with a requirement like "a photo of something you're afraid of"). I don't have any fancy quotas to fill each day, but I do commit to posting in this blog every day (as I'm able). Often I avoid posting because I'm busy and it takes a long time to put together. So to counteract that I've decided to make these posts "bite-sized". This one is longer, with all this preamble, but typically I intend to make them fairly short. This also means that if you want to follow along, you'll be able to read them quickly. The format will be simple: A verse, and some thoughts. My prayer is that you and I can grow in faith together. Without further ado: Day One...


"Jesus wept." (John 11:35)

Yes, I know that this verse is the punchline for endless 7th grade Confirmation students. I'm young. I'm involved. I've been there.
Teacher: "What verse in the Bible is your favorite?"
Student: "Jesus wept." 

Ha. Haha. Ha.

But I'm not trying to be funny. Those two words are so powerful for anyone who has suffered (which is everyone). Here's some context: Jesus had a friend, Lazarus, who had died and been buried. He went to be with Lazarus' sisters, and He was about to perform the miracle of raising Lazarus from the dead. He had already alluded to his disciples and the sisters (11:11 & 23) that He was perfectly able to raise Lazarus from the dead. He was planning on it. He's the Son of God and the only one in the world with the power to fix a tragedy like this. 

But wait. 

Before He uses His divine power and fixes what has been broken, He weeps. He is overcome with grief and compassion, and experiences the very human overflowing of emotion that can only be expressed through tears. This is one of the most striking testimonies to the full humanity and full divinity of Jesus. 

Truly He shares our griefs, because He has been there. 

Those days that we spend in tears aren't always days of doubt. Just because we cry doesn't mean we don't trust God. Jesus trusted His Father. But human beings are only so strong, and sometimes we simply need to weep, because our emotions are so strong they cannot (and should not) be ignored. The gift of expression is a blessing. It helps us cope with the things that are too much to bear. What we must remember is that Jesus, after weeping, performed an incredible miracle. While the Son is not still walking the earth and fixing all our troubles with the touch of His hand, and sin still steals our joy sometimes, the Father is still watching and directing our steps, and it will get better. As it says in one of my favorite Psalms, 126, "Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy."

Be patient. Better things are coming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment