Wednesday, May 18, 2011

It's everywhere

Temptation.
Yep. I'm writing a post at nearly two in the morning because I'm thinking about temptation. Everyone suffers from it. Everyone gives in to it. The only person who didn't was Jesus, and thank God for that, because otherwise we'd all be in a really bad spot.
There have been a few people lately who have surprised me with the temptations they've confessed to suffering from. Sometimes it's "little things" that don't seem a big deal compared to everything else. But it's still difficult to think about, especially keeping in mind that no sin is really above or below another. Other times it's things that I can identify with, and the other person and I can share our stories and help support each other. 
The worst temptations are those that seem control our lives. The pet sins that we keep reverting back to. The addiction we just can't get away from, or that we have gotten away from, but it's still there in the back of our minds. Sin is everywhere, we can't ever get away from it. In the Garden of Eden our chance to live simple, sinless lives was spent. Now we live with the consequences of original sin: the plague of temptation and the painful results of giving in. What hope is there for us?
Tonight I've been reminded once again of how amazing our God is. Otherwise I would have refrained from writing at this hour, but I couldn't resist the chance to share an undeniable message from God. I was lying in bed, tortured by thoughts of the consequences we pay for sin in our lives and the lives of those around us. I turned on the light to read and calm my mind a bit, and decided to pick out a spiritual vitamin. Unfortunately, my jar is still packed in my college stuff, but I have a few lying on my nightstand. I reached over blindly to pick one up, and this is what it read: "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." (1 Corinthians 10:13)

Incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment