Friday, August 7, 2015

30 Days of Bite-Sized Faith: Thirteen

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking in anything." (James 1:2-4)

It's probably safe to say that we all, at one time or another, have gone through one of those seasons in our lives when it feels like we're just waiting for things to get better. Perhaps we can see how the things we are going through lead to some end goal, even if we're not enjoying those steps as much as we hoped we would. Perhaps we honestly have no idea why we're doing what we're doing, but we hope it's going to lead us to something different, closer to where we want to be in life. Either way, getting through those times isn't easy. It takes perseverance. Perseverance is a skill that takes effort. And there are times when it takes more effort than usual. I'm currently in one of those development periods. In fact, many days I feel like it's been years since I wasn't in development. I'm well aware that we continue to grow throughout our lives, or at least that's what healthy people should do. But it's been 5 years since I have lived at the same address for more than 12 months. I've never had a relationship last longer than two years. The most time I've spent at one job is about a year and a half. In the grand scheme of things, I've lived a fairly nomadic lifestyle, both physically and emotionally, for a while now. It's unsettling. Then again, I'm terrified that once I do settle down I won't have the first idea how to handle it. Just thinking about it now leaves me short of breath. On the other hand, thinking about always transitioning like this also gets me panicky. Phew. 

So what can we do during these times of movement, when we can't help feeling restless, and the light at the end of the tunnel seems to keep moving farther away? My suggestion is, as always, to start with prayer. I promise that God has not forgotten you, and talking with Him helps to remind us that He is there listening, watching, and guiding. Tell Him your dreams. Spend time in His Word as well, listening to what He has to say to you. Reflect on what He is doing in your life, and what He has already taught you. These times of trial that test our perseverance are meant to help us grow in our faith and mature in our lives. Consider what you can learn from what you have gone through, and share your lessons with others that may also be struggling. Sometimes, God is giving you the tools to be a witness and a comfort to others. Above all, don't be discouraged by your restlessness. Feeling like we are meant to keep moving forward doesn't mean we don't trust God to bless us where we are! Sometimes the Spirit moves in us, driving us toward prospects we cannot even imagine.

Seek joy and peace where you are, and you'll be surprised to discover the ways that God can work for your good, in a time and place you never expected. 


No comments:

Post a Comment