Tuesday, August 18, 2015

30 Days of Bite-Sized Faith: Twenty-Five

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content in all circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:11-13)

This evening I was talking with a coworker about the fact that our experiences shape our lives. We looked back on a few of our more painful seasons in life and agreed that those times are necessary for us to grow into the complex and wonderful people that we are. Even if we wish we could change them, the value of the lessons is just too dear to tamper with. They help us mature, as I said yesterday. Even more than that, they open a door for us to share comfort and encouragement to others. We can say, "I've been there, here's what helped me get though." We Christians can use our stories and our scars as a way to point to the steadfast love of our Lord. In the passage above, Paul relates to us by sharing that he has experienced times of plenty as well as times of want. Here is another verse you see often on inspirational photos and on spirit wear for Lutheran school sports. Unfortunately, this verse rarely ever is shown in context, and I think the context is very important. Paul isn't just saying that God gives him strength to run fast or do extraordinary things. He assures the readers that he has been through some very hard times. He knows what it's like to be hungry and poor and truly oppressed. Yet he says that he has learned to be content every day with the knowledge that he is loved by God and saved through Christ. This is a contentment that surpasses earthly troubles.

Contentment doesn't always mean happiness. There are very wonderful times when I've felt both happiness and contentment at the same time (usually I use the term bliss). There have been times when I've been happy, but still restless and not really content. There have been still other times when I wasn't necessarily happy, but nevertheless I was content. To me, contentment means peace. It's an acceptance of things as they are, and a knowledge that things will turn out right. We always have this knowledge with Christ, because we know that He has saved us through His death and resurrection. We have eternal life. Even when we aren't necessarily happy, we have peace in the love of our Heavenly Father. 

My prayer is that you cling to this peace even in the times of hurt and doubt. The love of God is a source of strength and comfort that never fails, and never goes away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment