Thursday, April 14, 2011

1 Timothy 1:15

The verse in the title says this: "Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners - of whom I am the worst."
Wow. Doesn't that hit home. I think everyone at some point in their lives has thought, "Gosh, I'm the worst." Everyone has those times when they just feel like they're the scum of the earth. A jerk. Selfish. Believe me, I have those moments a lot. Especially when I get angry over really idiotic things. Yesterday I got breaking-out-in-hives angry because my boyfriend was putting off having me meet his extended family. The best part? It was mixed with arrogance. I was mad because I suggested to my family that we move our Easter get together to Saturday so that he could come. So when he told me that he didn't want me to come up to be with his family on Sunday... Man, was I angry. There I was making it easy for him to meet my family, and he wouldn't even let me go out of my way to meet his. (For the record, it ended up that his family isn't even getting together, so it was all pointless anyway.)
This sounds odd, but sometimes sinning "against your brother" is an easier situation. You can talk through it and hear the other person say "I forgive you." What's really hard is when you simply sin against God. Whatever you're doing doesn't affect anyone else, it's just sinful in and of itself. It's hard to really believe that God forgives you. There's never a booming voice from heaven that declares, "My child, you are forgiven, and your sins are no more." The closest thing is maybe the words of absolution from a pastor speaking by the authority of God. But you know, the Bible is the Word of God. He, through the pen of the author, is saying to you that you are forgiven. The first words of the verse are beautiful. The promise is the truth, and you can trust it. Even when you feel like you're the worst and that you don't deserve anything, Christ's blood was shed freely for you. He was the best so that you can be the worst. 
Accept it with joy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment