Monday, April 18, 2011

Why be good?

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10
At the end of last year and the beginning of this year, I went to an OAFC gathering. We always have the New Years gathering, it's always a lot of fun, I always make some mistakes, and there is always a theme verse. Yeah, that was an interesting list. Just so you don't spend the rest of this post with a little voice in your head going "I wonder what mistakes she makes?", I'll just say that we never get enough sleep at NYG which means I'm overtired and emotionally unbalanced which leads to me freaking out on somebody. "Freaking out on" in this year's case meaning sternly toned and over-zealous reprimanding and a couple insults.
Anyway, the reason I'm ranting about my New Years activities is that this year's theme verse was the one above. We spent the gathering mostly meditating on the first few words, talking about how special we are in God's eyes and how he has a plan for all of us.
Right now though, I'd like to look at the last portion of the verse. We were created for good works, and we are equipped to do them. Sometimes people think that good works are actually what gets you into heaven. That's not what I believe. If good works get me into heaven, then Jesus' sacrifice on the cross is either A) pointless, or B) not good enough. Both options are insulting. When I do good works with my Christianity in mind, it's because I'm thankful for Christ's sacrifice and I want to follow his commands. Like a thank you card. It's not worth hardly anything, but it means you acknowledge that a gift (in this case a priceless one) has been given and you truly appreciate it. It's also good do good works as a witness. The world today has a lot of stereotypes about Christians, one of which is that they're goody goodies. Now, I know that I'm not perfect, and I'm not always upright and good and all that stuff. But that is one of few stereotypes that I like to fill as best I can. I want people to know that Christians are loving. That we're different. And I want people to feel the benefits of whatever good I do and ask me why I do it. Best case scenario: they think "I want to be that [happy, loving, nice, etc.] too" and allow an opportunity for the Holy Spirit to do his awesome work.
Like I said, I know that I fail. But I try as best I can to set myself apart to glorify God and make people wonder: Why?   

No comments:

Post a Comment