Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Hebrews 4:16

"Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."
I'm not sure I've ever read the whole book of Hebrews, but maybe that should be a project, because this is the second verse I've really liked that came from there. I don't have huge grand thoughts about this, although it does tie in with the thinking I've been doing lately about Martin Luther. My history class reading for this week included the Reformation, and that inspired me to go to our library and check out the movie "Luther", which I will watch later today. I'm thinking this was a verse that Luther really liked. In his time the Catholic church was really into telling Christians that they were worthless sinners and had to do some major penance, and he didn't agree. God tells us in his New Testament that Jesus paid for our sins - no strings attached and no extra work necessary. When we sin we can ask God for forgiveness with confidence, knowing that he will always be merciful and gracious! 
As a final thought, the wording of the verse made me curious as to what the previous verse said, so I looked it up. Hebrews 4:15 reads "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are - yet was without sin." That, dear friends, is awesome. Not only does God forgive us, but he also understands the temptation that we go through and offers us the benefits of his perfect resistance to that temptation. What a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment